What is Sandplay Therapy?
- It is a new way of seeing
- It is a creative approach to therapy
Sandplay Therapy is for children and also for all ages.
The use of the sand and the miniatures provides a symbolic way in which to express our feelings and view of our lives
This process of revelation cuts through our sense of being trapped in a superficial world.
Creating the symbolic structures in the sand adds the dimension of depth to the process of self-discovery and healing. Problems can be seen in a larger context.
Sandplay Therapy can help:
- Relationship issues
- Marriage / Family issues
- Anger Management
What people say
“Sometimes we know something is not right but cannot put our finger on it. Through doing sandplay therapy with Makiko I was able to look inside myself and find the source of my anguish. I had buried my feelings, but with Makiko’s guidance and using sand-play during my counselling I was able to face reality. Thank you, Makiko, for providing a peaceful and safe environment where I could begin to deal with my emotions.”
“Playing brings back many memories of who I was a child. It helps me to remember many things about myself that I have already forgotten.”
“Often we are good at hiding our real emotions. Thinking and speaking can be superficial and may not get to the source of the problem. Sandplay therapy allowed me to connect with the ‘real me’ that was trying to deal with my emotions. My buried feelings could safly emerge through the therapeutic playing in the sand. In my busy life I had not stopped to address my emotions, but all the ‘blocks’ disappeared using sandplay during my therapy.”
Why is Sandplay Therapy good for children?
Children often have difficulties in talking about the issues. It is because a child does not fully develop their abstract reasoning until 12 years old. (Do you hear “I don’t know” as typical response?)
- If they have good vocabulary it does not mean they have mature cognitive skill
- A child’s world is concrete. Words about feelings are abstract.
- For young children it is difficult to articulate their feelings in words, so playing helps.
- Some children who display difficult behaviours or show withdrawal of accademic performance have emotional issues behind their actions.
- Children express themselves more fully and more directly through self-initiated, spontaneous play than they do with verbal communication.
Sandplay Therapy can help
- Other emotional issues
Shown in behaviours such as:
- Aggressive behavior
- Bed wetting
Therapy is suitable for children older than 3 years.